Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Cold That Didn't Get Away

I "boasted" in my previous post that I hardly suffered from a cold as I had a method of stopping it. Last week I did just that but unfortunately the stress of caring for a sick "loved-one" in the hospital had bogged me down and before long I found my cold had refused to go away.... it got worse as the phlegm became brownish indicating minor bleeding of some parts of the sinus.

The last time I took an antibiotic was in 2004! Last Saturday I took a three-day course of an expensive broad spectrum antibiotics. I was better for a couple of days then I made a big mistake of showering at 1 am, it was a warm shower mind you, and washed my hair then the very next day, my nose was almost as good as blocked and my throat was sore and I was croaking! Gallantly' I still went to work, coughing away. Somehow I recovered and feeling a bit better and only sponged in the evening in place of a full shower.

Then after work yesterday I noticed my phlegm had turned yellowish-green and my cough had worsened. I then decided to take another course of antibiotics (despite my abhorrence of medicine), this time, the not so expensive one (5-day course). Being a creature of habit, I once again had a midnight warm shower and this morning my nose is really so congested and my coughs are so bad that I finally have to take time off work :(

I will try not to take those night showers whenever I have a cold...and now I remember my mother used to warn against showering at nights. Strange indeed how our body reacts to temperature change when it is not in a normal state. Normally, the warm night shower is so calming to the body and soul.

No comments: