Saturday, July 19, 2008

Charity Dinner and Charitable Mood


One of the best way to collect as much money as possible for a non-governmental organization (NGO) is through a charity dinner. In this instance, the organization happens to have a wealthy patron who has resources at his fingertip. Then invite an influential guest of honor, arrange for a reasonably good entertainment outfit and hold an arts auction of paintings from reasonably well-known artists and cap it with a favorite master of ceremony and there you have it, a packed five-star hotel grand ballroom.

The NGO has supportive programs for the terminally ill people and this itself would bring out the caring element and the generosity thread of human nature. I went to one last night. It was a black tie event with gentlemen smartly dressed and ladies glamorously attired and bejeweled. Some tables cost 5000 and 10000 each. I would have just donated some money without attending but since we received a special invitation, I decided to attend despite my nose being blocked and throat sore.

The food was delicious, though my sense of smell was a bit impaired, the overseas entertainment made up of four people pretending to be a famous group in the 70s belting out recognizable hits with the audience singing and dancing with them.I virtually got up with the others and had a bit of a swing myself ;)

But before that you should have seen the paintings' auction... from 1000 became 5000 in less than a few minutes and the icing of the cake was a painting donated by the benevolent guest of honor with the starting bid of 10000. I was asking my friends jokingly whether I should bid higher as I was sure it would go up further especially when people were in an amazingly charitable mood. I needn't have bothered, as a quick succession of raised hands had finally brought the price to 50000! Dizzying...

That is charity dinner for you.. for me it was good food and good company and thank you EO for inviting us, you are such a superb philanthropist!

No comments: