Sunday, July 20, 2008

Capital Protected Fund.. portfolio diversification


I just recalled parting with my 50k in January this year, after being sweet-talked by a lady at CIMB. She had advised me not to buy the mutual fund offered at around the same time as she said the price would fluctuate and I might lose in the short term. This reminded me of my negatively fluctuating unit trusts at HSBC... really frustrating to say the least, sorry Rob :)

She then offered me this product which, under good market conditions, has been calculated to give a return of over 15% PA. Even if the market did not perform I would not lose my capital! The catch is, you have to put in a minimum of 50k for a period of 3 years....sounds like a fixed deposit game to me..luckily I stopped short of adding another 50k.

Be careful of sweet-talking agent, I reminded myself, when she started on about putting my money in the money market, as a way of re parking my fund from the current depressed stock market. I see this capital-protected product as a portfolio diversification.

No comments: