Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Amanah Saham 1 Malaysia (AS1M) is still my choice.

I went to ASNB branch office today to sell my ASN2 units to purchase some MAXIS shares. The unit price is right for me to sell as I bought them at 0.78 and 0.87 and now it is 1.0274, (slightly higher last week).

A few weeks ago I had wanted to acquire quite a number of MAXIS shares but somehow have scaled them down as the current market condition still remains volatile, much given to spurts of news rather than real sustainability. For me it is not fun to swim in this unknown waters much as I like risks but the current scenario kind of put me off.

I will still buy MAXIS shares at one-tenth of my intended purchase but where do I put the rest of my profit from ASN2? I spoke to a couple of ASNB officers regarding my concern about AS1M being benchmarked against a low yield five-year Malaysian Government Securities (MGS) and the possible negative effect on the dividend rate. Both of them told me that ASB is benchmarked against KLIBOR (Kuala Lumpur InterBank Offered Rates) which has a lower yield and yet look at ASB dividend rate! I have never compared it like that before.

Being the latest PNB fixed price product, you can expect the AS1M dividend to be quite attractive at least in the first year. You can now invest more than the permitted amount of 50K for those below 55 and at 100K for above 55. After mulling over for some time, I have decided to put my money into AS1M and lower my risks.

I will monitor MAXIS performance and may increase my shares later if the dividend yield is encouraging. At the moment, it looks like everybody is trying to get their hands on MAXIS shares so let me be one of the contrarians. Should I be proved wrong... Well, it is good to regret once in a while... that is life!

No comments: