Friday, October 30, 2009

MAXIS Prospectus...I am reading the risks.

The relisting of Maxis will be on 19 November 2009 and what a month to launch it! It's the largest IPO in Asia Pacific so far for a number of years. My friend who is a post-paid Maxis customer has been offered 1000 shares at IPO price currently at 5.20. How lucky he is! He even got the prospectus for me to go through.

I am debating whether I should try my luck applying for the IPO online through my bank or to wait it out on the listing day and purchase the shares at market price. If I failed to secure the IPO, my money would be stuck for the next 10 days. As the number of shares offered to the public is only 9.4% of the total units, I am not hopeful that my application would be successful.

I have already in mind how many units I want to purchase before looking at the thick prospectus. I went straight to the section on investment risks. There are just so many risks ranging from highly competitive business, technological changes,new WiMAX /Broadband operators, dismantling of a number of existing base stations due to health and environmental concerns, socio-political changes, right to outbreaks of SARS, Avian flu and pandemics of Influenza A H1N1,that are likely to affect business operations and company profitability and ability to pay promised dividends.

Then I went through the section on positive stock outlook and am encouraged by the company's various achievements, strategies, business leverage and partnerships and human capital investment. They even have an Oxford university graduate in physics as one of their directors! I also noted that many of the top management staff have just joined the company in 2009.

So after weighing the risks, I am reducing my intended number of to be purchased shares as I am aware that previous stock performance should not be the measure that it will perform again. And yet no risk, no gain. Let the fun begins!

No comments: