Friday, November 27, 2009

Allergy...would you believe the offending agent?

For some months I used to blame house dusts and maybe the pipe water as the cause of my frequent multiple sneezes in the morning, afternoon and evening. It was really irritating and I was at a loss as to what triggers such an allergic reaction, complete with rhinorrhea (watery nose) and watery eyes. After a while I became kind of used to it rather grudgingly and I refused to take antihistamines.

Then I noticed recently that the sneezes had mysteriously gone in the morning and evening but I had it sometimes in the afternoon after lunch at my place of work. I was wondering how could it be. What has changed in my environment? Particularly in my house.

Then at the clinic, one afternoon after I cleaned my teeth, my violent sneeze came back! Then it dawned upon me that this happened right after teeth brushing. I subsequently realized that for a couple of weeks now I had used a toothpaste with a different brand at home but the one kept in my clinic was still the same brand which I had been using for a number of months as I like its taste and lemony smell.

It appears that I am allergic to one of the ingredients in the toothpaste! Unfortunately there are just so many ingredients in that toothpaste, there is no way I can guess which one is the culprit. The new brand of toothpaste only contains potassium citrate, zinc citrate and sodium monoflurophosphate as its active ingredients.

I am very glad that I am able to discover the offending agent that has been causing my misery all this while. Much as I like the toothpaste, I have to stop using it.




The ingredients of the offending toothpaste.
Just look at the chemicals that we put in our mouth!



In this day and age when we are subject to so many man-made stuff, we have to be aware of those which are detrimental to our health. I have seen patients who suffer allergic reactions from cosmetics, hairspray, nail polish and deodorants. We have to be vigilant to safeguard our health.

For those who have similar symptoms, check out your toothpaste!

No comments: