Sunday, April 17, 2011

Maybank is .... a Cool Bank

I have been a loyal customer of HSBC bank  for many years. I would swear by its impeccable service especially in Premier Banking. It is like going to a house where you sit on soft sofa, have brewed coffee or tea, read coffee table books,  "decadent" magazines such as Tatler Malaysia and use the internet while waiting for your banker to attend to you. Banking has indeed transformed over the years. The only problem now that I have with HSBC is that  they do not have facilities to buy IPOs online neither can I pay my income tax in the same manner. So I am forced to look for a local bank to get this service.

Well, when I purchased a forgettable structured product in 2008 from CIMB ( a local bank), I opened an account there and was treated to their kind of  premier banking but somehow it was not the same as HSBC. The atmosphere at that particular branch was rather boring and the lighting was dim. The space was not ideal maybe because they are renting the premises. Staff were not that welcoming when you step into the bank. There was a security guard who asked you what type of business you want to transact. Anyway I closed the account once I got back my three-year fruitless investment!

Then I remember Maybank, I nearly bought its shares two years back when it was 5.80! So I trooped to the branch nearest to my clinic. The building is purpose-built and you can see that they are able to use their space quite nicely. I remember going to this bank some years ago when I had to send some money to a relative who had the account with the bank. Then the counter was like the old bank set-up, positioned in one unfriendly line. There was a security guard asking what you wanted to do and there was no one coming to offer help when you appeared confused, not knowing what to do and where to get your number etc.

As I entered the bank this time, there was a welcoming desk where a staff with a ready smile was stationed and she immediately gave me a number and told me where to go. Now I noticed there was no more long boring counter, instead you see many desks with staff in smart black and gold trimming uniforms sitting and attending to customers. There were nice sofa for you to sit while waiting for your number to be called. I was attended to almost immediately. A real corporate feel.

I was thoroughly impressed.

Passbook  in a jiffy!
Everything was done pretty fast, while I was changing  my PIN number at the nearest ATM machine,  the staff darted off  to the teller to remit my initial deposit and I got my passbook in a jiffy. When came to the internet banking activation, a helpful supervisor came over and told me one of her staff would guide me. It was a breeze and I was very satisfied with the service.

It was quality service and this is what banking should be like. I was thinking about what their private banking would be like. But  if their ordinary banking is so good why would I keep RM250K just to be pampered by the exclusive service? As I am already enjoying Premier banking at HSBC, why would I tie up more money as my banking with Maybank is only for services I cannot get at HSBC. That money is better kept liquid so that I can conduct my stock market activities without hassles.

Anyway my experience at Maybank is pleasant and most impressive. It is very good to see that they have also transformed their banking services in line with quality global standard and these speak volumes of their leadership. I hope they maintain this culture of excellent service.

Congratulation to the CEO of  Maybank,  Datuk Seri Abdul Wahid Omar as  all these positive transformation has materialised under your watch.

Maybank is now KawanKu (my friend).

No comments: