Tuesday, May 5, 2009

MotiVAtion to ReAD, REad to Be MOtivAtED


The motivation for me to read now is based on the premise that I do not know many things in my life and I want to know them. I want to know what other people go through in their lives, so I read memoirs or biographies. I read about President Obama's quest to discover himself in "Dreams from my father", it was enlightening and now I am reading a book by Clarence Thomas, "My Grandfather's son". Clarence Thomas is the first black to be elevated to the US supreme court.

The heart-rending experiences both men went through, I believe, have made them exceptional men today. I am motivated to go on improving myself, be it in professional or social spheres because my belief in the human spirits is strengthened by such non-fiction.

I also read to keep abreast of the ever dynamic field of my profession. Being a professional, I have to ensure my knowledge and skills are current for the interest of the clients I serve. I am proud of my profession and will not tarnish it by being ignorance of new advancements, I owe it to my clients! So I am motivated to keep reading.

I also read for pleasure, for example, I love short stories and crime novels. I found a free website on best "American short stories". They are beautiful and intriguing stories, short and sweet, you can read each story in 15 minutes! I really enjoy them.

I read blogs as I found them weirdly interesting,blatantly unbelievable, utterly honest, glaringly dishonest, grimly true, sadly told, angrily expressed,truly laughable and totally free! You can only have these feelings through reading My Dear Noor..

I am also able to cook new dishes through reading the recipe blogs... what else motivates me?

2 comments:

Larissa said...

Dear Marcella
I envy you having all the time to read all those books. My rate of reading is like 1 page per week, while I am 'resting' in the "rest room". I have just begun to reading Barack Obama's "The Audacity of Hope".
At the moment I am totaly consumed by marking my student's exam papers and assignment.

Marcella said...

Hi Larissa,
Making time to read is important to me. You can do it too! It is not really a good idea reading in the rest room as prolonged straining is bad for you.