Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Infertile.... please investigate me


Three will be just nice!


Today a lady came complaining of a cough and fever and after examining, making a diagnosis and handing her the prescription, I noted that she was hesitant to get up and leave instead she said rather timidly,that she had been married for more than nine years and had not been able to conceive. Then she fished out two well worn forms from her handbag,which she said were the results of her tests done in early 2008. She saw many doctors but none had written out any plan for her, as a result subsequent visit was not productive to the patient and she finally decided to try for traditional medicine. And obviously this had not been successful.

She is 27 and she is getting desperate as she is not getting any younger.

When asked about her previous medical record, she said she had misplaced them... so much for home-based medical record! I have learnt to be patient with my patients, by being empathetic ... can you imagine she was telling me all this after a prescription of her initial presenting complaint had been written out! The cough and cold are just a ploy... the real problem is she has primary infertility and is pleading to be investigated and..... "Please doctor, please do not pass the buck.." ( I am hearing things!)....ok lady I heard you.

No comments: