Monday, November 17, 2014

MAXIS issues dividend as promised and soaring again

Late last year when there were talks of MAXIS being unable to pay the 32 sen annual dividend like it used to due to some financial issues, I was feeling anxious as I have fallen thoroughly "in love" with the stock and was not about to abandon this blue chip comes what may. I also have great faith in the new CEO, Morten Lundal who has a lot of experience in the telco industry being ex-CEO of Digi, Maxis's rival. He came after Johan Dennelind, another ex-Digi CEO was not able to fill the post citing family commitments.

True enough after a number of months the stock began to slide and I watched with horror as my capital was being attacked so to speak. I kept telling myself to persevere as over the years of my investing in MAXIS, I have received quite a substantial amount of dividends, far more than the amount which was eroded mercilessly during the second quarter of this year. Yes, I cringed when the shares dipped to 6.20 but I took it as part of the excitement of investing.

Heart flutterings when MAXIS dipped  and normalising
 when it starts soaring

I was elated when MAXIS third quarter financial results were rather unexpected and Maxis is still able, up to this stage, to issue another 8 sen dividend per share with its earning per share (EPS) standing at 6 sen. The dividend ex date is on 26 Nov. From then on the stock began to rise to its previous high and today it has reached 6.93.

Credit to Maxis especially its hard-working CEO for having made many transformation and market initiatives to stay competitive in the industry despite declining revenue partly as a result of a reduction in income from voice and SMS usage owing to the introduction of applications such as WhatsApp and Telegram, Viber  and Skype , all of them are free at the moment. Notwithstanding the intense competition, they have succeeded in maintaining the population mobile coverage. Apparently, greater penetration of its service via internet usage is in the pipeline. Now I know how sticky MAXIS is.

Here's hoping MAXIS would be able to sustain its efforts to stay in the mainstream of the industry and continue to add value to all the stakeholders of the company including this minnow investor.

No comments: