Tuesday, May 7, 2013

SKPetro- My Stroke of Luck

A week before the general election, I was checking on my portfolio and noticed that generally due to the lack of leads before the dissolution of parliament and the uncertainty of who was going to form the next government, my stocks have been rather static in values.

My stocks currently consist of Telcos, Entertainment, Oil and Gas, REITs and Private Healthcare.My sole  plantation stock was sold three weeks ago . All are self-managed.

I have got some shares of ASTRO through an IPO application which have been lower than the offer price of 3.00 ringgit. At one time it went down to 2.67! I have been wanting to dispose of them and when the price  went to 2.90, after much debate, I decided to sell all my shares and bought more SKPetro shares  at 3.08. My gamble paid off as after the election with the National Front being returned to power, the stock went up dizzyingly and today  it is 3.55.

The stock price rise is amazing though I am aware of the foreign fund role  post-election
Though ASTRO also rose following the election to 3.02,  it compares poorly to the rate of increase of the oil and gas company. I am glad that I reviewed my position in time and in the process gain quite substantially. I hope the stock will continue to do well before I decide to dispose it. At the moment I am loving it. How I wish I had purchased more of the stock at that price! Instead I put some more fund from the proceeds of my THPlant sale in which I made some profit buying at 1.94 and selling at 2.20 into my PNB unit trusts, safer and less risks!

Luck 1% and Effort 99% = BIG Smile


SKPetro is at the moment an attractive investment. Had I not made the regular review of my portfolio, I would not have made the gain on the stock. So the question of luck here is debatable whichever way you look at it.

It's advisable to monitor your stocks especially when market-influencing factors are in operation. This is the exciting part of doing things on your own in investment. You learn from your mistakes too.

No comments: