Saturday, May 11, 2013

BSDReit - My Forgotten Stock

I have been so happy with the annual 7 to 9% return on this stock that I forget to review its wealth-making status. I bought 50k  BSDReit shares at 1.04 costing me about 52k in late 2008 and have been receiving 3k to 4.5k annually and have been quite complacent all these years. In my busy practice, I have totally forgotten that the price has historically gone up to even 2.00 and I failed to capitalise on it! I only came to realise my folly when I was checking on the KLCC Reit and doing the simple yield calculations. Last week's BSDReit's price was 1.86  and that is 82 sen rise in value for each share.

Been sleeping on my REIT stock
My! if I were to liquidate it then  I would have realised approximately 93K and  the time has come to dispose it all as the price has  become somewhat static for the last one year!!! Forget about putting it back into the market, had I put the whole of this amount in a PNB unit trust at 6.5 sen dividend, I would have received 6k consistently, a much higher yield than at  the current BSD Reit's annual dividend rate, purely on price upside.

I have this penchant for buying and holding my stock. Most of the time I find this practice is beneficial for me. For example I bought SKPetro shares  at 2.16 last year when it was relisted and only sold some last week at 3.59. Whereas my better half had sold his early this year at 3.15 because his strategy is buy and sell at a certain percentage of unit price rise. My strategy is more risky and therefore more gains and of course sometimes more losess.

High Risk-> High Gain
That's the disadvantage of self-managing your own fund while having a full professional practice. The tendency  not to check regularly in details is always there. In this case I had been so happy with the relatively higher dividend than ordinary stock and the higher yield at 8.5 when the price was at 1.04 that I hardly even thought of it. The wealth generating status has since altered following the Reit's price uptrend. It is more profitable to re-assign the fund's position.

And so this Monday, I am going to clear my position on BSDReit after nearly five years of holding it and maximise my money through another stock which is of course dear old MAXIS.

No comments: