Thursday, July 9, 2009

What Patients Do that Frustrate Their Doctors

Here are some of the things patients do that drive their doctors crazy:

  • Meddling Families in The Room

Some patients bring a companion, a spouse, adult child, parent or friend when they come to see a doctor. While many find that the comfort and support help them through their visit, the crowd can sometimes interfere with the doctor’s work or patient’s well-being with their unsolicited remarks.

  • Answering Handphone During Consultation

Handphones have now become a necessity and answering calls tend to be automatic . Nothing is more frustrating when some patients do this in the middle of a consultation as it is likely that doctors can lose track of line of case history taking. Patients need to practice better mobile phone etiquette.


  • Keeping Mum About Herbs




When it comes to herbal supplements, the medical community and the general public may, indeed, have a fragile consensus, namely that these remedies do not count as drugs. Doctors often discount the effectiveness of herbal supplements, and patients believe that the so-called natural origin of these preparations sets them apart from other medications.

Often they don’t tell their doctor what supplement they’re taking, it’s not until the point that they have a potentially serious reaction that the doctor knows they are taking one that might interfere with their other drugs.

  • Quitting Medications Without Notice

Just as doctors would like to know all the medications, herbs and supplements patients start; they also like to know when patients stop taking their medicine.

One of some patients’ bad behaviors is when they discontinue medications because of adverse reactions but don’t let their doctors know about it until they come in with problems again.


  • Change My Life Style? Must Be A Pill for That



Many doctors become frustrated with patient’s failure to see the common connection between their weight and their medical problems. Obesity can lead to diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and arthritis especially in the knees. The most frustrating thing for doctors is patients whose life style is making them miserable but they won’t change it.

Indeed frustrated doctors may end up having high blood pressure themselves... a real occupational hazard.

4 comments:

AC said...

Ok...I will keep these things in mind.

Marcella said...

Hi AC,
Just visited your blog on SIME DARBY.. just as well you did not reply to my question because if you had asked me to sell my SIME shares then, I would have followed your recommendation :)... I did not sell! Today the price had a high of 8.00... I do not have stop-loss order neither do I have an exit strategy..:(

AC said...

Marcella,

Sorry for not replying you. lately quite busy. Two days ago, I worked till early morning at 1.00am. (that was on 21 Jul, you can see I left a comment on your this post while waiting for my task in my office). Luckily it over already & got time to visit your blog again.

About SIME shares, My opinion is to keep this blue chip. Barring from any unforeseen bad factors, I believe this counter will break RM11 in two to three yrs time. Unfortunately I don't have extra money, otherwise it will be in my portfolio.

Marcella said...

AC,
Two-3 years are really long time.. and influencing factors could arise anytime..but as long as the dividend is good I may be able to tolerate the risks in the medium term.

By the way, have a lot of rest also after your hard work to compensate for energy stress!