Sunday, June 29, 2008

An Avid Investor by Accident


I learnt how to save when I was at primary school and somehow this habit continued at secondary level and later on when I went to study in Australia. I would have continued saving in banks and invest in low risk unit trusts had it not been for a chance meeting with a friend's friend who worked for the local stock broking firm. Unfortunately, I was not market savvy then, buying into shares of companies I hardly knew and suffered paper losses. I also did not know when to exit the market and of course I did not monitor my shares. In fact I treated them like saving banks.. how hilarious!

With the help of the internet, I have managed to educate myself on the intricacies of the stock market and had successfully recovered my losses in the first quarter of 2007. I have no fund manager to manage my portfolios but I am fine. Though the market is down now I am not worried as I have carefully chosen companies with strong fundamentals.... by the way I should have listened to the various blogs during pre-election and stay away from GLC stocks, well you can never win all the time can you? But one thing I will never do that is to borrow money to buy shares... heard ugly stories about those who do.

At the moment I am visiting many blogs of people who talk about "financial freedom" and believe me there are pearls of wisdom out there and people are just so willing to share their ideas, it is just amazing.

No comments: