Saturday, September 28, 2013

Heavy Coffee Drinkers Beware

People drink coffee for various reasons. Many would admit to drinking many cups of coffee because they are addicted. Some of my patients who work as security guards say they drink a lot of coffee to stay awake, sometimes more than four cups a day!
The news report on the findings of a study (here) on heavy coffee drinkers should act as an alert for those in the same boat about the danger of this habit to their health. In fact, heavy coffee drinkers have an increased death risk according to the study.
I am a coffee drinker only on an occasional basis. I just do not drink any brand of coffee, though would dispense with my personal preference if presented with the choice of brewed coffee usually at my golf club or restaurants.
When I was a student in Australia my favourite coffee brand was Maxwell House (MH) and I continued with it on my returning home but gradually over the years, the brand has slowly disappeared. I tried several other brands but found them not of equal taste to MH.
When I was studying I drank coffee quite a bit. I was then suffering from leg cramps especially during winter though not as cold as the winter in England but all the same the nights could be quite cool. Anyway, these leg cramps were really bothering me, sometimes I would wake up with extreme pain and had to massage my legs frantically. The condition came about when I was a second year medical student. 
One day during an anatomy class I entered into a conversation with my demonstrator, an old Professor from East Europe and mentioned about my affliction. Without batting an eyelid he asked me to stop drinking coffee or tea for at least three weeks and see whether the cramps subside. To cut the story short, the condition disappeared after I stopped drinking coffee. I cannot find any research studies on this effect of coffee (caffeine) on muscle cramps, perhaps overstimulation? But at which level of the nervous system? I should have then asked the Prof who is now deceased.
My favourite brand of coffee
Anyway, for a long time I had not drunk coffee simply because I could not find a brand that I like and by this time I decided to drink only one cup a day. At last I found a brand that I truly enjoy the taste. It's called Kenco but it is not sold in just any supermarkets. 
I first bought it at the Pavillion, Bukit Bintang and once finished, I could not get it anymore so for nearly two years I was not able to enjoy a good coffee. Then a few months ago I chanced upon it at Jaya Grocer in Bukit Jelutong Shah Alam, imagine my joy! Unfortunately there was only one bottle left.
No, I don't suffer from cramps anymore because I only drink coffee occasionally whenever I need to perk up! Hardly a heavy drinker or rather what is elegantly referred to as a quaffer.

No comments: