Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Astro IPO: My Misadventure

When news of Astro's relisting came out, many of us were elated and made preparation to apply for the IPO. However when the IPO price was declared, there were many negative comments appearing in the mainstream as well as online media. Most reckoned that the price was inflated and not congruent with Astro's growth status and foreseeable future earnings; at RM3.00 per share, it is well above its P/E ratio based on some stock analysts' calculation.

The rising arrow is actually money for the company
 and not for small investors
I read all about these negative write-ups and in fact had advised some relatives not to apply the IPO. Then I read about some big cornerstone investors buying into Astro and was beginning to feel confident that perhaps the analysts and commentators were wrong as after all it's the market which was going to determine the price eventually. I was still not  convinced generally to apply  but somehow the contrarian in me had refused to follow my instinct. It did not help when my earlier IPO applications for Gas Malaysia and IGB Reit were also not successful so my appetite for IPO had not been satiated at that point in time. I must  try my luck again!

And so when the IPO application was opened, I sauntered to the ATM at my bank and proceeded to apply digitally through ESA. Honestly, if I were to withdraw 90k in cash to apply for 30k shares , I would have thought twice but since it was cashless, I did not feel hesitant, just pressed the buttons and Hey Presto! the transaction was done. And yet, after it was completed, I regretted it almost instantly and was hoping my application would not be successful.

ESA so deceptively easy.... cashless!
As you guessed it (otherwise I won't be whining like this!), my application was successful though a fraction was subtracted and some money was refunded to my bank account.

 When I read that the IPO was oversubscribed, I was a little encouraged and rather elated. But my elation was short-lived when Astro made a very poor début on the listing day. I knew it right away that what the people had been saying was true. I did not act fast enough to dispose of the shares at the opening price which was a few cents higher than the IPO because my tendency is always to buy and hold the shares like what I did with PChem and MSM for which I made a decent profit over a year.

The rest is history. Astro stock was battered down with selling off and it closed at 2.67 today! I am flabbergasted. Who are still selling their shares? It doesn't make sense those who buy the shares at RM3.00 would sell them  at a lower price. It must be people who hold these shares before the re-listing, who else could it be??

I am also disappointed with the banks, one of them is CIMB, appointed to evaluate the stock and price it well above the so called "fair value". It reminds me of the Facebook IPO fiasco in US Nasdaq this year where the valuation was done very high based on some assumptions, leading to many investors' losses. I read about this and thought it would not happen here in Malaysia.... how wrong I was!

But people, most of all,  I blame myself for not sticking to my gut feeling. I am glad though I managed to advise my younger relatives not to apply for Astro IPO and they all stayed away. Unfortunately my risk appetite (greed?) got the better of me and now I am stuck with currently  "worthless" shares. And I have no intention of dollar averaging the shares at the moment.  I will, instead, keep these shares hoping that Astro would perform and give decent dividends (which apparently would work out to lowly  2.3%- 3.2%) in the next couple of years. And to the people who gain unfairly from this Astro re-listing  I wish them good luck in their life. Today is their day.

An investor's delight!


By the way, I take comfort in my SkPetro stock, purchased at 1.92 per share, which climbed sharply over the last few days to somehow, on paper, over compensated for my Astro losses. Thanks goodness!

And finally,  in  future, I will be more wary of those non-GLC IPO! And respect majority opinion as well as listen to my instinct...... and of course, approach the ATM cautiously.


No comments: