Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The 2010 FIFA World Cup: In Search of my Favourite Team





Since the start of the 2010 world cup in South Africa, I have been watching the group games especially those televised by Astro at 7pm and 10pm Malaysian time. The only 2.30am game that I watched full time was on Saturday morning 12 June between England and Algeria. As Malaysia is not a world cup material yet, we Malaysians are forced to support any team we like, sounds pathetic but that is how life is at the moment.

                                  Football stadium at Durban, South Africa

Being in the Asian continent, firstly, I would support the Asian teams such as Japan, South Korea, DPR Korea, Australia and New Zealand.  I failed to watch the early games when these teams played as I was in the capital staying in a hotel which did not subscribe to the particular Astro channel! But I heard DPR Korea scored one goal against the mighty Brazil though they lost, it was quite an achievement. Then I read that Australia was defeated by four goals in their opening match then  I watched the disastrous loss by DPR Korea to Portugal last night , a historic seven to nil , what a trashing! Earlier, South Korea had lost to Argentina by four goals

South Korea's defender Lee Jung-Soo (R) celebrates with South Korea's midfielder Kim Jung-Woo after scoring the opening goal against Greece during the Group B first round 2010 World Cup football match South Korea vs. Greece on June 12, 2010 at the Nelson Mandela Bay stadium in Port Elizabeth. Getty Images / CARL DE SOUZA




I am not confident that any of the Asian team will reach the final though I would be most happy to be proved wrong. Of course I wish the world would see more of the Asian teams playing beautiful tactical games in the future so that we, as a continent, would get the recognition we deserve and stand tall in the international football community.

For other individual games, I usually support the underdogs  like I supported Algeria against England. I found it detestable for England's player Wayne Rooney to talk down on Algeria before the game. It ended up they only managed a scoreless draw. And England is now struggling to secure a place in the last 16 at knock-out stage.



My second line of support goes to the African continent represented by the host country, South Africa, Cameroon, Nigeria, Cote D'IVoire and Ghana. But unfortunately, they are not doing as well, Cameroon being the first to be eliminated in the group game. And where the name Didier Drogba, the Cote D'Ivoire striker , is synonymous with the best of African football.


My third choice is the eastern European teams of Slovenia, Slovakia and  Serbia which defeated Germany by one goal. They are not doing too badly considering that they are new to the world cup as independent nations and a country like Slovenia has less population than Malaysia!

Fourth is the South American teams represented by Brazil, Argentina, Honduras, Chile, Mexico,Paraguay and Uruguay. My what a team Argentina is! I like their fast pace and accurate passing and ball dribbling and tight control. They might just be my favourite team though a bit too early to confirm as I only watched them play once.

                           The Brazil players have booked their place in the last 16: Courtesy FIFA

I only supported USA team against England as I believed there would be more tickets sold to the Americans when USA advanced in the competition. More fans mean more money for FIFA to develop world football and promote world peace. In fact, it is the fans which make each world cup memorable and fascinating.

The last I would support is the Western European teams of Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, England, France, Denmark, Netherlands and Switzerland. This is because these countries have been known to be good all these years winning world cup many times. This situation is made possible by the many lucrative competitions that they have and the attraction of wealthy private clubs such as Real Madrid, InterMilan, Barcelona, Ajax, Galatasaray and Juventus. And those in England FA Cup, the like of Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, truly, the opportunity list is endless.  Indeed these people dream and grow up in football environment. They are screened for their talent and fans come in droves to watch them. They command a full capacity stadium and market their tournaments to the global audience.  Sponsorships are also abundant. In Malaysia you only see such a capacity crowd when pop singers have their concerts!

Turning back to the world cup, my favourite team would come from other continents except Western Europe. As the Europeans are commercial icons though they represent their respective countries. Just look at the behaviour of the French team in the Anelka's fiasco with the coach!  My favourite team players  must be elegant, motivated, strong, respectful of their coach, skilful, fair, not overly physical and would not play act to fool the referee . They are fast, attacking with tight defence and  not given to time wasting to delay their opponents. They control the ball (jambulani) well, display accurate passing and possess great team work, in short, they are world-class and I am an incorrigible idealist!


So I am still actually looking for my favourite team to scream my heart out to, to pray for every goal attempt they make and to rejoice with them in their winning and to feel anguish when they lose. All these kinds of emotion are healthy to be expressed during this world cup mania.


                                                                      Portugal team rejoicing after beating
                                                                     DPR Korea 7-0 in group game: Courtesy FIFA                                                                             


                                           Blowing a vuvuzela :)  courtesy Anne-Catrin


Meanwhile I must get that made- in -China plastic vuvuzela to blow and compete with the annoying background sound of the stadium when my favourite team plays and....... irritate my soccer-mad spouse.


11 comments:

AC said...

My enthusiasm with World Cup has gone down. There are two main reasons for that. 1. Match fixing – This is not only in football, but it also kills my interest in other sports. 2. Betting – It makes people like football because of gambling for money, not because the spirit of the game.

Are you a World Cup fanatic?

Marcella said...

Hi AC,
Yes, I love and greatly enjoy World Cup because it is an inter-country competition where national pride is at stake. Your countrymen will be rooting for you.

If any country or player is found to be indulging in betting, they will be severely punished and their national reputation will go down into the dustbin of history.

Yes, people can bet but any player or country will not be stupid enough to work hand in glove with the bookies.

I trust FIFA that is why I am enjoying any World Cup especially the spirit of the game.

Life is too short to be cynical. Before we know it, it is too late to enjoy anything in life :D

By the way as South Korea is into the group of 16 now, I am going all out for them!!! If they stumble at the knock out stage then my favourite teams will be Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil in that order.

Revive your enthusiasm AC and enjoy life.... every four years the World comes together to stand apart... how apt! Hope we still can enjoy World cup 2014!

Long live FIFA and long live World Cup!

By the way I still cannot get that vuvuzela and it takes more than two weeks to order online... by that time the World Cup will have ended :(

AC said...

Ok...I will take your advice to enjoy watching the games. You are right. Life is too short.

Becareful with vuvuzela if you have it. The high sound pressure at close range can lead to permanent hearing loss for unprotected ears and extensive exposure (according to a report). :)

Marcella said...

We are at the exciting knock-out stage now, enjoy the games before they are over.

My friends are betting for Argentina vs Netherlands final. I only bet with my better half for the famed roti canai at our golf club.

Who's the doctor here :)?

AC said...

I choose Germany to win this season World Cup.

Marcella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcella said...

Germany and Argentina will meet for the quarter final. My team is Argentina and yours is Germany then.

Hope there will not be another harrowing penalty shoot-out like Japan and Paraguay. I was devastated when my favourite Japan lost like that!

Go Argentina! Go!

Reasonable football-madness is forgiveable during World Cup :D

Marcella said...

My team Argentina lost to Germany with their relatively young team who was full of enthusiasm and played as a team!

Argentina has Lionel Messi, FIFA player of the year but he needed chances which the German defenders tightly denied him! And his team was not able to crate those chances for him.

So Messi had a cry in the dressing room post-match. I felt his anguish!

What an exit, thrashed at 4-0. But I salute Germany which was, by the way, beaten by unknown Serbia at their group match stage!

Now for the semifinal, I predict it is between the Netherlands and Germany. Who to bring back the cup to their country? Netherlands have been unbeaten so far.But Germany beat England,Australia and now Argentina all by 4 goals! Prolific scoring.

May the better team win. I am just going to enjoy the game now as all my favourite teams have packed up their bags home :(

AC said...

Yahooooo! Germany won over Argentina. :)

Argentina was playing very well. They had most possession of ball. But no luck. The second goal of Germany killed their confidence.

Never mind for the lost of Argentina team. Hope this team will be better in next WC. Mean while I can't wait to see my favour team to act on the field again. :)

Marcella said...

I knew you would be celebrating your team's winning! They will meet Spain next... the Spanish is quite strong with their darling striker David Villa and Germany will miss exciting 20-year old striker, Muller who is banned from playing in this game as he has received two yellow cards.

But you'll never know as the Germans are really determined to win. You might be celebrating again :)

Argentina will have to wait for that 2014 World Cup in Brazil. But I still enjoy seeing other teams playing. May be I go for the underdog, Spain this time. Incorrigible as always :)

I am glad you are enjoying the World Cup, AC

Marcella said...

Yeeeees! My team Spain won by one goal over Germany! Do not be upset AC, as the young German team will be more experienced in World Cup 2014!

My earlier prediction was wrong now it is Spain vs Netherlands and today's Sydney Morning Herald poll shows Spain is the favourite so far at 56% and Netherlands at 44%... I like Spain but we cannot discount Netherlands who never lost throughout this World cup competition. Spain had lost to Switzerland in their group game.

For true champion's sake, I would go for Netherlands to bring back that cup!

Enjoy a beautiful sports of TEAM WORK!