Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tricor is...... A Cold Cucumber

The best time for a long-term investor, apart from selling stocks at a high profit, is when the companies you are investing in are giving you dividends.  I really look forward to receiving these cheques in the specific months throughout the year. I also  check on-line when the payment date of the dividend is due and estimate the time I would receive it in the post.

I have had no problems all these while until one of these cheques did not arrive after about two weeks. This was the first time it happened to me. I knew I had to contact the share registrar to inform about  this but I did not know which one. So I tried one I found on line using the given telephone number.... there started my exasperated exercise. It took almost one and a half hour to finally talk to someone, before that you keep hearing this robotic voice telling you that all the customer agents were busy and try the extension ( how do I know what the extension was because the robot was not interactively human!).

I was disconnected so many times but I knew I had to be patient otherwise I would not get that dividend which I badly needed to top up my MAXIS shares. When at last I  heard a human voice, I told her the name of my stock, only to be told that they were not handling the company's services. I managed to ask the girl who else are the share registrars, then she mentioned Tricor and immediately I remember the name printed on the upper left hand corner of  dividend cheque envelope that I ever received. The girl was nice enough to give me the telephone contact.

This call to Tricor was not too bad as I got through after less than five minutes. The operator transferred me to the relevant section. The woman on the line did not have a warm voice ( I think everyone would know whether the person on the other end is friendly or not after the first few words). I explained to her about the "missing" dividend cheque. She told me to wait another week or so (Ghee!!) and she would send me a form to fill in  then I would have to pay to get the new cheque sent over. Then I informed her that I did not lose the cheque, I just did not receive it!  Why should I have to pay? She said that was just too bad and if I wanted the new cheque I just have to pay. She did not try to explain nicely at all. And that was my money she was talking about!  I would have understood... even if she said " Sorry, that is the  company's policy". Obviously she has not been trained on how to deal with clients. Her soft skills left much to be desired.

Honestly, If I were to choose my share registrar I would not choose this company!

I emailed my particulars and would you believe it? The reply was computer generated... "Dear valued investors.. blah..blah.". this was despite me using her personal company email address AND after we had talked on the phone. I was allergic to this kind of treatment and she called herself "The Manager"??.. I wonder how do her subordinates behave with a boss like that!

I was so relieved when POS Malaysia was able to trace the cheque! And the people there were so nice to talk to, congratulation POS Malaysia! .Your customer service is excellent.

The woman and the company would not exist without the investors... just like doctors , we would not be here if not for our patients so we treat them with respect.

Now, my next dividend cheque is from SIME, payment date is on 4 Dec 2009  and  Oh Blada! The same share registrar is handling it. Hope the cheque arrives safely.....

Are you for real, Cucumber?


                                                                                                                                                      AP photo

2 comments:

AC said...

I also experienced late delivery of dividend cheque once. It took almost four months from the payment date to reach my hands. And I used to like you looking for dividend-paid-day, but now not really, I got SOoo many things to do now. Don't this is good or bad. Just move on. :)

Marcella said...

Since I choose most stocks for their dividend-paying capability, I cannot afford to ignore those cheques.

And since they are my earned money, I cannot just move on unlike when I dump some stocks and never look at them again :D

Some people managing share registry should put their feet on other peoples' shoes then life would be so much easier for investors in that kind of situation. After all aren't they getting paid for doing the job?