Friday, March 20, 2009

Time to hibernate


As readers of my blog must have noticed, I have now rarely posted anything on wealth creation activities. To tell you the truth, I have not checked my portfolios for months on end. The reason is obvious, the market has been deserted. Despite, the rolls of stimulus packages all over the globe, it still refuses to be stimulated, like a giant in a drunken stupor, oblivious of its surrounding.

I still check the prices of blue chips every now and then and am waiting for the right time to grab them, and yet when is the right time? As I have moved some of my investments to safer capital-protected instruments and eyeing the money market, I am contented to just monitor the market situation especially from the international perspectives.

The suggestion that we should spend rather than save now makes me cringe though I have been thinking of replacing my nine-year old car but unfortunately I am not that keen on the new model. See, since my student's days in Australia, I only like to drive a certain brand of car and that certainly limits my choices.

With annual inflation, the saving will definitely depreciate and this is made worse by the current low interest rate. This is the time when neither saving nor investing is really fun... time to hibernate and dwell on other issues.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

Replacing your car would be high time as the interest rate is low now, just make a choice of big or small car of the same make... I'm thinking of buying a small car to zip around town..swiftly ;)

Nadlique said...

Indeed, the recommendation to spend at times like these is really hard to fathom. Heck, even I cringe about the thought of spending even though I know it might be good for the economy.

Anyway, all we can do is stay focused. Recovery is just around the corner. I hope..

Marcella said...

Hi Tasha,
I googled your S Swift.. looks kinda cute.Hope you will not have much maintenance problems.

Will look at the new Camry model next year..

Marcella said...

Dear Nadlique,
Heard Pres Obama's speech on the economy a couple of nights ago.. to make it real effective, most people must spend... if only a few of us do.. it is not going to stimulate the weakened economy..Wonder if the government would give us better tax incentives if we spend more..

The recovery will come, it is a question of when... whatever the circumstances there is always hope.. Been reading your interesting posts, keep it up.